RAND Health Organizational Structure
Office of the Director
Associate Director: Paul Koegel
Assistant Operations Director: Cathy Moran
Quality Assurance Coordinator: Cathy Sherbourne
RAND Health Chairs
Samueli Institute Chair in Policy for Integrative Medicine
Ian Coulter is a senior health policy analyst at the RAND Corporation, where he holds the Samueli Institute Chair in Policy for Integrative Medicine. He is a professor at the UCLA School of Dentistry and a research professor at the Southern California University of Health Sciences. Coulter has more than 20 years of experience conducting both qualitative and quantitative research on chiropractic and has authored or coauthored more than 40 articles and two books.
Distinguished Chair in Health Care Quality
Eric Schneider holds the Distinguished Chair in Health Care Quality at the RAND Corporation and serves as director of RAND's Boston office. He is an associate professor in the Division of General Medicine and Primary Care at Brigham and Women's Hospital, where he practices general internal medicine; at Harvard Medical School; and in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Harvard School of Public Health.
Distinguished Chair in Health Care Services
Robert H. Brook holds the Distinguished Chair in Health Care Services at the RAND Corporation, where he previously served for 19 years as vice president and director of RAND Health. He led the Health and Quality Group on the $80 million Health Insurance Experiment and was co-principal investigator on the Health Services Utilization Study. He was the co-principal investigator on the only national study that has investigated, at a clinical level, the impact of diagnosis-related groups on quality and outcome of acute hospital care.
Two programs focus on long-standing core areas of RAND Health's policy research expertise: health services delivery systems and population health.
Health Services Delivery Systems
Addresses issues surrounding the delivery of health care services, including:
- the cost and quality of services
- patient access, experience, and outcomes
- the impact of new models of health care payment and delivery
- medical workforce trends
- the impact of technological innovation on service delivery and patient health.
Director: Peter Hussey
Associate Director: Rebecca Anhang Price
Addresses public health issues, including:
- social, environmental, and cultural influences on the health of populations
- health inequities and disparities among different populations
- community and population resilience
- relationships among environmental factors and individual health behaviors (e.g., eating habits, smoking) that influence the prevalence of chronic disease.
Director: Jeanne Ringel
Associate Director: William Shadel
RAND Health interest groups serve as intellectual homes for multidisciplinary groups of researchers who share a common interest in a substantive area or analytic method. Presently, there are four such groups:
- Obesity and Obesity Policy
Leader: Tamara Dubowitz
- Climate Change and Health
Leader: Regina Shih
- Patient Experience Measures, Patient-Reported Outcomes, and Patient-Centered Care
Leaders: Rebecca Anhang Price, Mark Friedberg
- Public Behavioral Health Services and Policy
Leaders: Nicole Eberhart, Audrey Burnam