Economic Demography Workshop Schedule - PAA 2004
Sheraton Boston, 39 Dalton Street, Boston, MA 02199
Wednesday, March 31, 2004 | 1:00 - 6:00 pm
Fairfax | 3rd Floor
SESSION I: 1:00-2:15 WELFARE REFORM
Chair: Jacob A. Klerman, (RAND Corporation)
- "Transitions in Welfare Participation and Female Headship"
John Fitzgerald, (Bowdoin College), David C. Ribar, (George Washingon University)
- "The Effects of Welfare-to-work Program Activities on Labor Market Outcomes"
Peter Mueser, (University of Missouri), Andrew Dyke, (University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill), Carolyn J. Heinrich, (University of Wisconsin-Madison), Kenneth R. Troske, (University of Missouri-Columbia)
Discussant: Seth Sanders, (University of Maryland)
SESSION II: 2:20-3:35 FERTILITY and CONTRACEPTION
Chair: Donna Ginther, (University of Kansas)
- "Female Life Cycle Fertility, Demand for Higher Education and Desired
Family Size in Post-Transitional Societies: Theory and Evidence from West
Frank Heiland, (Florida State University)
Alexia Prskawets, (Vienna Institute for Demography)
- "Pill, Patch or Shot? Subjective Expectations and Birth Control Choice"
Adeline Delavande, (Northwestern University)
Discussant: Madeline Zavodny, (Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta)
SESSION III: 3:40 - 4:55 WAGE AND MARRIAGE OUTCOMES FOR EDUCATED WOMEN
Chair: Terra McKinnish, (University of Colorado at Boulder)
- "Does Education Really Disadvantage Women in the Marriage Market?"
Elaina Rose, (University of Washington)
- "Gender Wage Disparities Among the Highly Educated"
Amelia M. Haviland, (Carnegie Mellon University),
Dan Black, (Syracuse University), Seth Sanders, (University of Maryland)
Lowell Taylor, (Carnegie Mellon University)
Discussant: Stacey Dickert-Conlin, (Syracuse University)