RAND experts Jeffrey Martini and Fred Wehrey are available to discuss the latest events in Egypt and the region. Among the topics they can address:
- Is there a perfect storm of opposition elements aligning against the military in Egypt?
- What is the potential impact of the unrest on parliamentary elections, scheduled for Nov. 28?
- What concessions could the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) give protesters?
- What role is the Muslim Brotherhood playing in the unrest?
- What could make the situation worse — and more violent?
Jeffrey Martini is a Middle East research project associate focusing on political reform in the Arab world, particularly North Africa. His research includes civil-military relations in Egypt, internal dynamics within the Muslim Brotherhood, changes in the regional security environment, and new trends in Arabic language media. Martini recently conducted interviews with military and opposition groups in Egypt, and co-authored "Commanding Democracy in Egypt: The Military's Attempt to Manage the Future."
Fred Wehrey is a senior policy analyst focusing on Persian Gulf security, Iran, Libya, Egypt, civil-military relations, and U.S. policy in the Middle East.
To arrange an interview, contact the RAND Office of Media Relations:
(703) 414-4795 or
(310) 451-6913, or
send an email to email@example.com.