West Midlands Police, with support from RAND Europe, the University of Cambridge and Addenbrooke’s Hospital, is evaluating the use of ambulance data to support injury surveillance and violence reduction.
Communities, Safety and Justice Policy Research
RAND Europe's programme of research on Communities, Safety and Justice Policy helps decisionmakers at national and pan-European levels assess threats and identify and develop policies to improve safety, security and other outcomes, reducing harms to communities caused by crime, violence, intolerance, substance misuse and illicit markets.
Our research focuses on three primary areas:
- crime and reoffending
- illicit markets and substance misuse
- migration and integration, communities and cohesion
More information about each is available in the Filter by Topic section below.
Our Approach to Research
To address these pressing challenges for policy and practice we draw on a range of approaches, including:
- Identifying, implementing and evaluating interventions to improve integration and outcomes for vulnerable groups;
- Identifying economic impacts of policies, programmes, interventions and funding mechanisms for illicit markets, reducing crime and reoffending, and applying cost of crime approaches in new areas;
- Developing and applying methods for measuring crime and illicit markets nationally and internationally;
- Mapping levels of intolerance and attitudes to minority groups, and incidence of crime across jurisdictions;
- Cost analysis and modelling, such as police workforce resilience planning;
- Systematically reviewing evidence and assessing the robustness of evidence for a range of interventions, such as through rapid evidence assessments
We work closely with and for public and private sector bodies, foundations, non-governmental organisations and specialist agencies in Member States and at the EU level.
Research on Crime and Reoffending
Crime and Reoffending
RAND Europe's crime and reoffending research includes evaluating approaches to reducing reoffending, the Social Impact Bond and payment by results approaches to reducing reoffending, multi-agency approaches to reducing crime and disorder, and policing and workforce planning.
Research on Illicit Markets and Substance Misuse
Illicit Markets and Substance Misuse
Illicit markets and substance misuse research by RAND Europe explores the relationship between alcohol price, policies to address problem drinking, and consumption; the impact of payment by results approaches to funding drugs and alcohol recovery services; sizing illicit markets; and the economics of addiction.
Research on Migration and Integration, Communities and Cohesion
Migration and Integration, Communities and Cohesion
RAND Europe research on migration and integration, communities and cohesion includes evaluating national and EU level migration and integration programmes and policies and assessing trends in religious, ethnic and national intolerance.