Standards for High-Quality Research and Analysis
Summary of RAND's Standards for High-Quality Research and Analysis
- The problem should be well formulated, and the purpose of the study should be clear.
- The study approach should be well designed and executed.
- The study should demonstrate understanding of related studies.
- The data and information should be the best available.
- Assumptions should be explicit and justified.
- The findings should advance knowledge and bear on important policy issues.
- The implications and recommendations should be logical, warranted by the findings, and explained thoroughly, with appropriate caveats.
- The documentation should be accurate, understandable, clearly structured, and temperate in tone.
- The study should be compelling, useful, and relevant to stakeholders and decisionmakers.
- The study should be objective, independent, and balanced.