Congressional Briefing - June 7, 2012
How to Defuse Iran's Nuclear Threat: Bolster Diplomacy, Israeli Security, and the Iranian Citizenry
Thursday June 7, 2012
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
2200 Rayburn House Office Building
About the Program
In the next couple of weeks nuclear negotiations with Iran are due to resume. At best, they might produce an agreement on interim steps to limit Iranian enrichment and a temporary hold on some international sanctions. But regardless of whether this current round of talks succeeds or fails, what are the longer-term prospects for Iranian relations with both Israel and the United States?
- What are Iran's real intentions and capabilities to threaten American and Israeli interests?
- If military action can slow—but not halt—Iran's nuclear program, as American officials have stated, shouldn't policymakers begin considering optimal long-term policies that would address Iran's likely development of nuclear weapons capability? Is it realistic for U.S. policymakers to exclude deterrence and containment as possible long-term strategies for dealing with this threat?
- Can any diplomatic, economic, or military efforts curb Iranian ambitions as long as the current Iranian leadership remains in power? What are the prospects for change in that leadership?
Join RAND experts for a panel discussion on U.S. policy options and the longer-term prospects for Iranian relations with both Israel and the United States.
Director, International Security and Defense Policy Center, RAND Corporation
Director, Washington Office, RAND Corporation
Senior International Policy Analyst, RAND Corporation
The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. RAND focuses on the issues that matter most, such as health, education, national security, international affairs, law and business, the environment, and more. As a nonpartisan organization, RAND operates independent of political and commercial pressures. We serve the public interest by helping lawmakers reach informed decisions on the nation's pressing challenges. Visit us online at www.rand.org.
- View calendar of upcoming and recent Congressional briefings
- View upcoming and recent Congressional briefings by topic
For further information about this event, contact Kurt Card at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (703) 413-1100, ext. 5259.