AEP Data Portal
Research files for several studies conducted with the AEP are available in two forms:
- Free micro-level data files in Stata and CSV format that have been de-identified—they do not include geographic identifiers and include limited demographic information and school characteristics. The data files are accompanied by a codebook, technical documentation, and survey questionnaire.
- Restricted data files in Stata and CSV format with identifiers upon request, for a fee of $2000 or less per file, depending on the complexity of the request.
To access free or restricted data through the AEP Data Portal, you must first apply by completing the online registration form. Following review and approval of your registration, you may log into the AEP Data Portal for file access and download.
What Does the Portal Grant Access To?
Here are some examples of AEP Surveys that are currently available or in-progress for release through the AEP Data Portal:
- COVID-19 Survey: The COVID-19 Survey Series focuses on priorities, plans, and delivery of instruction and other services in K-12 schools during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as educator needs for resources and support. The COVID-19 surveys were fielded to national samples of K-12 public school teachers and school leaders in May 2020, October 2020, and March 2021.
- American Instructional Resources Survey: The AIRS Series focuses on what instructional materials are used in schools, how and why materials are used, and what factors support their use. AIRS has been fielded in Spring 2019, Spring 2020, and Spring 2021 to (1) a national sample of school leaders and English language arts (ELA), mathematics and science teachers; and (2) state-level samples of teachers. For AIRS 2019 and 2020, state-representative responses are available from teachers in the following 12 oversampled states: CA, DE, FL, LA, MA, MS, NE, NM, NY, RI, TN, WI. For AIRS 2021, state-representative responses are also available in those 12 states, along with four additional states: AR, OH, KY, and TX. The Spring 2020 and 2021 surveys also included a small number of questions regarding instruction during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Learn Together Surveys: The LTS Series focuses on a range of timely policy- and practice-relevant topics for public schools and teachers serving students at secondary grade levels (6–12 grades), including social and emotional learning, postsecondary transitions, student voice, and supports for students with disabilities, and data-driven decisionmaking. LTS has been fielded in Spring 2019, Spring 2020, and Spring 2021 to (1) a national sample of secondary (6–12 grade) school leaders and teachers; and (2) state-level samples of teachers in 5 states: CA, FL, NY, TN, and TX.
- Measure to Learn and Improve Survey: The MLI Survey Series focuses on a range of education topics of national import, from social and emotional learning to supports in schools to key aspects of school improvement like leadership, parent-community ties, and professional capacity. MLI was fielded in Spring 2017 and Spring 2018 to (1) a national sample of school leaders and K-12 public school teachers; and (2) state-level samples of teachers in 22 states: AL, AR, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MA, MD, MS, NC, NM, NY, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV.