AEP Data Portal
Research files for several studies conducted with the AEP are available in two forms:
- Free micro-level data files in Stata and CSV format that have been de-identified—they do not include geographic identifiers and include limited demographic information and school characteristics. The data files are accompanied by a codebook, technical documentation, and survey questionnaire.
- Restricted data files in Stata and CSV format with identifiers upon request, for a fee of $2000 or less per file, depending on the complexity of the request.
To access free or restricted data through the AEP Data Portal, you must first apply by completing the online registration form. Following review and approval of your registration, you may log into the AEP Data Portal for file access and download.
What Does the Portal Grant Access To?
Here are some examples of AEP Surveys that are currently available for release through the AEP Data Portal:
- COVID-19 Surveys: The COVID-19 Survey Series focuses on priorities, plans, and delivery of instruction and other services in K-12 schools during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as educator needs for resources and support. The COVID-19 surveys were fielded to national samples of K-12 public school teachers and school leaders in May 2020, October 2020, and March 2021.
- American Instructional Resources Survey: The AIRS Series focuses on what instructional materials are used in schools, how and why materials are used, and what factors support their use. AIRS has been fielded in Spring 2019, Spring 2020, Spring 2021, and Spring 2022 to a national sample of school leaders and English language arts (ELA), mathematics and science teachers.
- Learn Together Surveys: The LTS Series focuses on a range of timely policy- and practice-relevant topics for public schools and teachers serving students at secondary grade levels (6–12 grades), including social and emotional learning, teaching math, postsecondary transitions, student voice, and supports for students with disabilities. LTS has been fielded in Spring 2019, Spring 2020, Spring 2021, and Spring 2022. In 2022, the sample was expanded to include K–12 teachers and principals.
- American School District Panel: The ASDP is a nationally representative panel of school districts, including Charter Management Organizations. Two surveys each school year are typically conducted with the ASDP addressing timely issues facing districts (largely, but not exclusively, COVID-related to date).