Alternatives to the ACA
Read More About the Future of U.S. Health Care
Using the COMPARE model, RAND researchers have assessed the effects of modifying the ACA or replacing it with another plan.
- Modifications include repealing the individual mandate, modifying tax credit subsidies, revising some of the market regulations, and modifying Medicaid expansion.
- A set of proposals suggests replacing the ACA with a single payer plan.
- We analyzed the Patient Choice, Affordability, Responsibility, and Empowerment (CARE) Act offered by Senators Burr, Hatch, and Upton in 2016. The plan was not enacted.
- We also assessed how the American Health Care Act (AHCA), passed by the House in March 6, 2017 but not enacted, would affect health care coverage and federal spending.
- We estimate the impact of adding a public option to the ACA marketplaces, a proposal advanced by the Biden presidential campaign.