Join the Reddit 'Ask Me Anything' About Ebola and Other Infectious Diseases
Melinda Moore, senior natural scientist, RAND Corporation
A Reddit "Ask Me Anything" session about Ebola and other infectious diseases
Friday, October 17, 2014
Noon to 1 p.m., ET
About the Topic
With West Africa's Ebola outbreak reaching distant shores, is the U.S. prepared to contain the threat from this disease? This week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director, Thomas Frieden, will address congress about the U.S. response. Hear reactions from RAND's Melinda Moore and ask her anything about Ebola and other infectious diseases.
Melinda Moore, a public health physician and senior researcher at RAND, has spent most of the last 35 years addressing global public health issues, including 20 years at the CDC and five years working for the Secretary of Health and Human Services. Her recent work about global health and health security is relevant to the ongoing Ebola crisis.
- The global dimensions of public health preparedness. The Ebola outbreak has underscored once again why Americans should remain aware and vigilant of health problems around the world.
- Preparedness exercises. Just as with sports and music, practicing helps us hone our skills in public health preparedness and response. The U.S. worked with partners in Asia and the Middle East to carry out pandemic influenza exercises before the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.
- Biosurveillance. Surveillance is a cornerstone to disease prevention and control.
- We have developed strategies and a tool for policymakers to improve biosurveillance, using influenza as an example.
- We have examined the sustainability of and future opportunities (PDF) for sub-regional infectious disease surveillance networks.
- We also have developed a framework to help measure our efforts to help partner countries improve their biosafety/biosecurity and biosurveillance.
To arrange an interview, contact the RAND Office of Media Relations:
(703) 414-4795 or
(310) 451-6913, or
send an email to email@example.com.