RAND Defense Expert to Brief U.S. Helsinki Commission About Ensuring the Security of the Baltic States
Michael Johnson, RAND senior defense research analyst, will brief the U.S. Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (the U.S. Helsinki Commission) about ensuring the security of the Baltic States.
Johnson will present the results of his wargaming research, which was the focus of a recent RAND study, Reinforcing Deterrence on NATO's Eastern Flank: Wargaming the Defense of the Baltics.
Other experts expected to participate are:
- Magnus Nordenman, director, Transatlantic Security Initiative and deputy director of the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security at the Atlantic Council of the United States
- Karl Altau, managing director, Joint Baltic American National Committee, Inc.
Johnson will discuss:
- How NATO's current force posture is insufficient to defend NATO allies
- How NATO's options to reverse aggression by liberating the Baltics would incur enormous cost and risk
- How NATO could strengthen deterrence, including an initial assessment of the European Reassurance Initiative and Warsaw Summit posture changes.
2 p.m., ET, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016
Room 340, Cannon House Office Building
To arrange an interview, contact the RAND Office of Media Relations:
(703) 414-4795 or
(310) 451-6913, or
send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.