Michael Chase, RAND senior political scientist, and Cortez Cooper, RAND senior international defense researcher, will discuss how China's ongoing military reform efforts are shaping the People's Liberation Army's (PLA) long-term defense planning, weapons development, and acquisition programs in “China's Military Reforms and Modernization: Implications for the United States.”
Chase and Cooper will discuss:
- What the drivers are behind China's military reforms
- How China's national-level military modernization efforts support President Xi's “China Dream”
- The timeline for China's military modernization
- How China's military reform effort has affected missile force modernization efforts
- How the PLA Rocket Force determines its service-specific weapons acquisition and weapons development priorities
10 a.m., ET, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018
Room 285, Hall of the States, 444 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington, D.C.
To arrange an interview, contact the RAND Office of Media Relations:
(703) 414-4795 or
(310) 451-6913, or
send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.