RAND Experts Available to Discuss Russian Invasion of Ukraine
March 2, 2022
With Russia and Ukraine now at war, RAND Corporation experts are available to discuss the latest developments and implications. To arrange an interview, please contact email@example.com.
- James Black is a research leader at RAND Europe with expertise in Russian military strategy and doctrine and NATO defense and deterrence.
- Scott Boston is a defense analyst with expertise in Russian military capabilities, ground force concepts, and modernization.
- Samuel Charap is a senior political scientist with expertise in the foreign policies of Russia and the former Soviet states, U.S.-Russia deterrence, and regional strategic stability.
- Raphael Cohen is a senior political scientist with expertise in defense strategy, foreign policy, European security, and Russia-China relations.
- William Courtney is an adjunct senior fellow and former U.S. Ambassador to Georgia and Kazakhstan with expertise in Russia, Eastern Europe, foreign policy, and diplomacy.
- Shelly Culbertson is a senior policy researcher focused on forced displacement, migration, and refugee resettlement due to conflict.
- Alyssa Demus is a senior policy analyst focused on Central and Eastern European security and political issues. She is fluent in Ukrainian.
- Alexi Drew is a senior analyst at RAND Europe focusing on emerging technologies and their security and geopolitical implications.
- Stephen Flanagan is a senior political scientist with expertise in Russian military strategy, Ukraine defense capabilities, NATO response, and geopolitics of the region.
- Edward Geist is a policy researcher with expertise in Russian defense policy, nuclear weapons, and the impact of emerging technologies on nuclear strategy.
- Derek Grossman is a senior defense analyst focused on Indo-Pacific security issues, including the region's relations with Russia.
- Todd Helmus is a senior behavioral scientist focused on disinformation and terrorism, including ways to counter Russian disinformation.
- Marta Kepe is a senior defense analyst focused on European and transatlantic security, NATO and EU Cooperation, and unconventional warfare, including Ukrainian civilian resistance groups.
- Dara Massicot is a senior policy researcher and expert on Russian military capabilities.
- Michael Mazarr is a senior political scientist focused on U.S. strategic competition with Russia and China.
- Karl Mueller is a senior political scientist specializing in military and national security strategy, particularly coercion, deterrence, and no-fly zones.
- John Parachini is a senior international and defense researcher with expertise in intelligence, counterterrorism, weapons proliferation, and sanctions.
- Andrew Radin is a political scientist focused on European security, NATO, and Russia's foreign and security policy.
- Clinton Reach is a policy analyst with expertise in Russia, Ukraine, Eurasia, and Black Sea security.
- Charles Ries is an adjunct senior fellow and former U.S. Ambassador to Greece, focused on the economics of development, international trade, and diplomacy.
- David Shlapak is a senior defense researcher with expertise in Russia's nuclear strategy and ambitions.
- Colin David Smith is a senior international defense researcher with expertise in Russian and Eastern European defense policy, national security, and U.S. security cooperation, as well as combat engineering.
- John Tefft is a RAND senior fellow and former U.S. Ambassador to Russia.
- Elina Treyger is a senior political scientist focused on strategic competition with Russia.
- Anthony Vassalo is a senior international and defense policy researcher and U.S. intelligence expert focused on national security strategy, risk, and deterrence.
- J.D. Williams is a senior international and defense policy researcher with expertise in military intelligence and Russian and Chinese military strategy.
- Tom Wingfield is a senior international and defense researcher with expertise in the strategic and policy aspects of the cyber domain and information environment.
To arrange an interview, contact the RAND Office of Media Relations:
(703) 414-4795 or
(310) 451-6913, or
send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.