RAND Europe is an independent not-for-profit research organisation whose mission is to help improve policy and decision making through research and analysis. We undertake contract research in a range of policy areas including health, science and technology, crime and justice, defence and security, transport, employment, education and social policy. Our work spans projects in developed and developing countries and we have an extensive portfolio of work for different EC Directorates, national governments, multi-lateral organisations, charitable foundations and others.
RAND Europe's own knowledge and experience is frequently augmented by co-operation with U.S.-based RAND staff, as well as with individuals and organisations throughout Europe. The value of this approach is shown in its results — RAND Europe research has contributed to important policy decisions in many sectors of national, supra-national and regional government, as well as the private sector. The wide range of topics and central position in the policy-making environment make RAND Europe an employer with excellent career opportunities for the person who is interested in addressing in a practical way the intellectual challenges of today's world.
There are no opportunities currently available. Please check back, however, and thank you for your interest in RAND Europe.
Research Group Director: Defence, Infrastructure, and Security
Reports to President, RAND Europe
Job reference: 1192 (please state clearly on all communications)
Deadline for applications: Monday 3rd November 2014.
Location of post: Cambridge
RAND Europe Overview
RAND Europe is an independent, not-for-profit research organisation whose mission is to help improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis. We benefit the public interest through the impact and wide dissemination of over 100 projects per year.
Our staff represents 22 nationalities, speaks over 20 languages and covers 31 academic disciplines. Our multi- and inter-disciplinary approaches to research generate unique perspectives and insights for our wide-ranging government, foundation and other NGO clients.
RAND Europe’s research is rigorously peer-reviewed, draws on extensive subject and methodological expertise, and is conducted in a professional, delivery-oriented environment.
The Defence, Infrastructure, and Security Group has expertise in a number of areas that includes defence acquisition, technology and industrial economics; cyber-security; counter-terrorism; transport; and national resilience. To complement these research areas, they also specialise in the application of discrete choice modelling methods to understand and predict choice behaviour to inform policy interventions.
To act as a senior leader within RAND Europe, delivering both group and organisation wide business objectives, whilst also contributing to the research agenda.
- Deliver group, business and strategic objectives, particularly with respect to net revenue, staffing and performance management (at least c. 2.5 days per week)
- Deliver group revenues of c. £2.5m per annum
- Make a positive contribution as a member of the RAND Europe Senior Leadership Team
- Lead development of group business plan
- Model the RAND Europe values
- Understand and proactively manage the group capacity to deliver organisational objectives
- Coordinate the group research pipeline
- Identify and fill staffing requirements, in conjunction with senior researchers within the group
- Manage group delivery of research projects to time, budget and quality
- Contribute to internal corporate reporting and management information
- Shape group research proposals to meet organisational commercial framework
- Performance manage, mentor and develop group staff
- Develop, win and deliver research projects to time, cost and quality standards
- Provide research thought leadership in specific areas of expertise
- Lead and conduct research either individually, or as part of a team
- Facilitate impact of RAND Europe research through a wide network of contacts
- Raise profile of both RAND Europe and the research group
- Work with a geographically diverse mix of clients
Skills and Experience
- Proven track record of successful leadership and business delivery within research, professional services or public sector domains
- Policy relevant research and analysis
- Portfolio management of research activities
- Entrepreneurial approach
- Demonstrated ability in business development
- Highly effective team leadership and staff management
- Leadership style proven to motivate and influence positive change
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and public presentation skills
- Collegiality and teamwork with seniors, peers, and juniors
- Analytical ability to assess group financials and deliver workable solutions
- Demonstrated skill in prioritisation and problem solving
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work flexibly
- Ability to process large amounts of information effectively
- Successful management of research projects
- Previous experience in organisational senior leadership team
Post-graduate degree or equivalent
Remuneration and Details
Full-time members of the team enjoy a competitive salary and additionally benefit from the following:
- 8% employer contribution pension
- Bupa medical insurance
- Childcare vouchers
- Generous holiday allowance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Flexible working arrangement
- Permanent health insurance
- Group life assurance
- A friendly multinational work environment
- Employee wellbeing initiatives - such as cycle to work schemes, fresh fruit and company bikes
Our Cambridge office is Westbrook Centre Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 1YG, England
Our Brussels office is Rue de la Loi 82, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
Please note: All applicants will be asked for proof that they are eligible to work in the UK.
How to Apply
If you feel, based on the job descriptions above, that you have the qualities to be a part of our team please send the following by email only to Recruitment@rand.org:
- CV and covering letter
- A short writing sample (up to three pages, aimed at a non-technical audience)
- Details of where you saw the vacancy
Please state clearly the job reference number on all communications.
To view all job openings at RAND, visit the corporate employment page.