Key Tools and Resources for Command and Communications
In general, the resources listed under the Preparation and Training section will cover command, control, and communications considerations. Therefore, there is some overlap between that earlier section and the following list:
- ICS training is available through FEMA (FEMA, undated b)
- The InterAgency Board for Emergency Preparedness and Response's Improving Active Shooter/Hostile Event Response: Best Practices and Recommendations for Integrating Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS report provides a great deal of coverage of command, control, and communications best practices (InterAgency Board, 2015)
- Command and control strengths and weaknesses are detailed in Why Was Boston Strong? Lessons from the Boston Marathon Bombing (Leonard et al., 2014)
- PERF's Critical Response Toolkit for First-Line Supervisors provides guidance and resources for frontline commanders (PERF, undated b)
- NFPA maintains the 3000 Standard for ASHER Program (NFPA, 2021).