Findings on Reporting
- The FBI's tips.fbi.gov website is a key national resource for reporting significant intentions and actions toward mass attacks (FBI, undated e).
- The FBI typically refers reports to the appropriate local authorities, which takes time. If there is a time-critical situation, call 911 directly.
- 911 is always available for reporting potential serious threats for mass attacks.
- Schools, workplaces, and communities may have their own reporting channels and should have partnerships with local law enforcement to review concerning cases together.
- The FBI's eGuardian system is a location for law enforcement to submit tips and leads for further evaluation and for documentation purposes (FBI, undated b).
See the Database discussion in the Threat Assessment section for a larger list of data sets available to law enforcement to support reporting, identification, information-sharing, documentation, follow-up, and threat assessments.