Asymptomatic Sexually Transmitted Diseases

The Case for Screening

Published in: Preventive Medicine, v. 36, no. 4, Apr. 2003, p. 502-509

Posted on on January 01, 2003

by Thomas Farley, Deborah A. Cohen, Whitney L. Elkins

Read More

Access further information on this document at

This article was published outside of RAND. The full text of the article can be found at the link above.

BACKGROUND: The United States has the highest prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases in the developed world. Control strategies should address the most frequent reasons why curable sexually transmitted diseases are not treated. METHODS: The authors approached 1,631 persons ages 18-29 in various sites and offered them screening for gonorrhea and chlamydial infection and surveys regarding past genitourinary symptoms. For those with past symptoms the authors abstracted medical records or conducted additional interviews. From these data they estimated the total number of persons who had gonorrhea or chlamydial infections in the previous year, the proportion treated, and the primary reasons for nontreatment. RESULTS: The prevalence of gonorrhea was 2.3% and that of chlamydial infection was 10.1%. The authors estimate that 45 and 77% of all cases of gonorrhea and chlamydial infection, respectively, were never symptomatic and that 86 and 95% of untreated cases of gonorrhea and chlamydial infection, respectively, were untreated because they were never symptomatic. The remaining 14 and 5% of untreated cases of gonorrhea and chlamydia, respectively, were not treated because persons did not receive medical care for symptoms. CONCLUSIONS: The primary reason that gonorrhea and chlamydial infections are untreated is that infected persons never have symptoms. The most effective method to control these sexually transmitted diseases is routine screening at high-volume sites.

This report is part of the RAND Corporation External publication series. Many RAND studies are published in peer-reviewed scholarly journals, as chapters in commercial books, or as documents published by other organizations.

Our mission to help improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis is enabled through our core values of quality and objectivity and our unwavering commitment to the highest level of integrity and ethical behavior. To help ensure our research and analysis are rigorous, objective, and nonpartisan, we subject our research publications to a robust and exacting quality-assurance process; avoid both the appearance and reality of financial and other conflicts of interest through staff training, project screening, and a policy of mandatory disclosure; and pursue transparency in our research engagements through our commitment to the open publication of our research findings and recommendations, disclosure of the source of funding of published research, and policies to ensure intellectual independence. For more information, visit

The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. RAND's publications do not necessarily reflect the opinions of its research clients and sponsors.