A brief history of the use of aircraft and drifting stations for research in the Arctic Basin, from 1879 to the beginning of the International Geophysical Year (IGY) in 1957. The first air-supported drift station was established by the Soviet Union in 1937. In 1941, the Soviets developed a new technique known as the Flying Laboratory Method which, in 1948, evolved into separate detachments of mobile scientific groups with aircraft at their disposal. Until the IGY in 1957, U.S. Arctic research was limited by sporadic financing and lack of institutional and operational support. This situation is not yet completely rectified. 24 pp.
This report is part of the RAND Corporation Paper series. The paper was a product of the RAND Corporation from 1948 to 2003 that captured speeches, memorials, and derivative research, usually prepared on authors' own time and meant to be the scholarly or scientific contribution of individual authors to their professional fields. Papers were less formal than reports and did not require rigorous peer review.
This document and trademark(s) contained herein are protected by law. This representation of RAND intellectual property is provided for noncommercial use only. Unauthorized posting of this publication online is prohibited; linking directly to this product page is encouraged. Permission is required from RAND to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of its research documents for commercial purposes. For information on reprint and reuse permissions, please visit www.rand.org/pubs/permissions.
The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. RAND's publications do not necessarily reflect the opinions of its research clients and sponsors.