- What improvements could be made to the Air Force's Small-Business Performance Expectations Methodology to help the Air Force meet its small-business goals?
The Air Force is trying to increase small-business use and identify industries that have the most potential for increasing small-business utilization. This report examines the Air Force Small-Business Performance Expectations Methodology with the goal of improving it to identify small-business opportunities. The report recommends that efforts to increase small-business spending should take into account differences between the Air Force's and other services' buying requirements as well as the importance of budget categories, using industry/Product or Service code/budget-category combinations to identify small businesses. Changing certain market definitions to identify areas with more or less small-business saturation would improve the methodology. Additionally, industry small-business size standards should be considered. A larger amount of data, including the last two to three years of data, would help monitor and refine accuracy.
- Air Force purchases differ from those of other services; purchases should be compared to the Navy and perhaps the Army, not the Department of Defense as a whole.
- Considering budget categories, as well as industry and Product or Service codes, helps identify possible small-business contracts.
- Extant data is useful but limited. A larger amount of data (two to three financial years) would refine accuracy.
- Changing certain market definitions to identify areas with more or less small-business saturation would improve the methodology.
- Efforts to increase small-business spending should take into account differences between the Air Force and other services.
- The methodology should use industry/Product or Service codes/budget-category combinations and consider industry size standards to help identify small businesses.
- More data should be used to increase methodology accuracy.
- Defining markets as "More Accessible" and "Less Accessible," as well as defining "Consolidated Markets," would improve accuracy.
Table of Contents
Current Performance Expectations Methodology
Air Force Small-Business Spending by MAJCOM and PEO
Air Force Small-Business Spending by Budget Category and Industry
Refining the Performance Expectations Methodology