7th Annual West Coast Aerospace Forum
Lessons Learned from the Russia-Ukraine Conflict for the Pacific Theater
Photo by Mysti Bicoy/U.S. Air National Guard
Friday, December 2, 2022
7:30 a.m. – 3:10 p.m. Pacific
Continental breakfast and lunch provided
Complimentary parking at RAND
Register for the Forum
Registration for this event has closed. For general questions about attendance, please contact Evelyn Penna at (310) 393-0411 x7155 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Forum
RAND Project AIR FORCE, the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies, MITRE, the Aerospace Corporation, and the Center for Strategic and International Studies invite you to the 2022 West Coast Aerospace Forum to discuss lessons learned from Russia's invasion of Ukraine and how those experiences will apply to security challenges in the Pacific theater and beyond. The day will start with General Jeffrey L. Harrigian, USAF (Ret.), former Commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe, and General Kenneth S. Wilsbach, Commander of Pacific Air Forces, discussing these challenges from a senior air commander perspective.
- 7:30 a.m.
- Continental Breakfast
- 8:25 a.m.
- Welcome and Introductory Remarks
- Jason Matheny, President and CEO, RAND Corporation
- 8:30 a.m.
- Commanders' Perspective: The War in Ukraine and Implications for the Pacific AOR
- Gen Ken Wilsbach, Commander, Pacific Air Forces; Air Component Commander, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command
- Gen (Ret.) Jeffrey L. Harrigian, former Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe; Commander, U.S. Air Forces Africa; Commander, Allied Air Command, headquartered at Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- Moderator: Lt Gen David A. Deptula, USAF (Ret.), Dean of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies
- 9:50 a.m.
- 10:00 a.m.
- Lessons for the Space Domain
- Marin Halper, Vice President, Cross-Cutting Priorities, The MITRE Corporation
- Debra Emmons, Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, The Aerospace Corporation
- Bruce McClintock, Lead, Space Enterprise Initiative; Senior Policy Researcher, The RAND Corporation
- Moderator: Jamie M. Morin, Vice President, Defense Systems Operations, The Aerospace Corporation
- 11:00 a.m.
- 11:10 a.m.
- Lessons for Multi-domain Ops
- Stacie Pettyjohn, Senior Fellow and Director, CNAS Defense Program
- Greg Grant, Senior Principal, The MITRE Corporation
- Klon Kitchen, Senior Fellow, AEI Defense Program
- Ylber Bajraktari, Senior Advisor, Special Competitive Studies Project
- Moderator: Marin Halper, Vice President, Cross-Cutting Priorities, The MITRE Corporation
- 12:10 p.m.
- Proceed to Lunch (1st-floor courtyard)
- 1:00 p.m.
- What Are China, Taiwan, and US Allies and Partners in the Indo-Pacific Learning from the War?
- Nadia Schadlow, Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute; former U.S. Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategy, National Security Council
- Christopher Johnstone, former Director for East Asia, National Security Council; Japan Chair and Senior Advisor, Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Evan Medeiros, Former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Asia, National Security Council; Penner Family Chair in Asian Studies and the Cling Family Senior Fellow in US-China Relations, Georgetown University
- Moderator: Seth G. Jones, Senior Vice President and Director, International Security Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- 2:00 p.m.
- 2:10 p.m.
- "Arsenal of Democracy": Lessons for the Industrial Base
- Elbridge A. Colby, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense; CEO for Marathon Institute
- Cynthia Cook, Director, Defense-Industrial Initiatives Group, and Senior Fellow, International Security Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- Obaid Younossi, Director, RAND Defense and Political Sciences Department; Senior Policy Researcher
- Moderator: James Chow, Vice President and Director, RAND Project AIR FORCE, The RAND Corporation
- 3:10 p.m.
- Forum Adjourns